As we're wrapping up our year with the festive season and school holidays, the year-end also reminds us of the stunning winter destinations that we hope to visit once the situation gets better. Our travel plans may have taken a back seat due to the pandemic, but we shouldn't stop ourselves from dreaming about it. If you miss planning a chilly getaway, keep your wanderlust alive with these stunning winter destinations that we dream of visiting someday.
Japan ranks high on our list for many reasons. Not only do we miss the piping hot halal ramen in Tokyo
and enjoying the fun rides at Tokyo Disneyland
, there are also many winter spots in Japan that are worth visiting! Besides snowboarding in Niseko and visiting the Sapporo Snow Festival, take a snapshot of the Japanese macaques at Jigokudani Monkey Park.
Popular winter destinations in Japan
- Niseko, Hokkaido - For a snowboarding adventure
- Sapporo, Hokkaido - For a visit to the Sapporo Snow Festival
- Yamanochi, Nagano Prefecture - For Japanese macaques (snow monkeys) at Jigokudani Monkey Park
2. South Korea
Credit: @namiisland_naminara via Korea Tourism Organization (Malaysia) on Facebook
South Korea is brimming with halal Korean restaurants
, budget shopping spots, and of
course, scenic destinations that transform beautifully during winter! If you're a K-Drama fan, you may be interested in visitingthese famous filming sites in Seoul
but nothing beats the sight of Nami Island covered in snow, which also happens to be the iconic filming site for Winter Sonata.
Popular winter destinations in South Korea
- Nami Island, Gangwon province - For a romantic retreat
- Vivaldi Park Ski World, Gangwon province - For a skiing holiday
There's something absolutely mesmerising about Switzerland and they have the stunning Swiss Alps to thank. Winter in Switzerland starts in mid-December and lasts until mid-March. If you're planning to see what the Swiss Alps is all about, head over to Mount Titlis, Jungfraujoch or Zermatt to see what you've been missing out all these years.
Popular winter destinations in Switzerland
- Mount Titlis near Engelberg - For scenic cable car rides
- Jungfraujoch - For breathtaking landscapes
- Zermatt - For the famous Swiss Alps
If you're living in Southeast Asia, a flight ticket to Norway can cause a dent on your wallet but the country's breathtaking scenery makes it all worth it. Bring your best pair of winter boots and prepare yourself for a snowboarding adventure in Oslo
and catch the amazing Northern Lights in Lofoten Islands.Popular winter destinations in Norway
- Oslo - For skiing and snowboarding adventure
- Bergen - For the traditional Nordic village experience
- Lofoten Islands - For the ultimate Northern Lights chase
Any traveller who picks winter as their favourite season would have Iceland in their bucket lists - and we can see why. Famously known as the Land of Fire and Ice, this country, which is situated below the Arctic Circle, has huge glaciers and stunning blue lagoons! Winter is also the season for Northern lights, ice skating and snowmobile rides in Iceland, so get ready for a trip to remember!
Popular winter destinations in Iceland
- Reykjavik - For Northern lights and ice skating
- Snæfellsjökul - For snowmobile rides
- Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss - For glacier lagoons and icy waterfalls
The bright side of staying at home during the pandemic is the opportunity to dream about the places we want to visit someday. When it's finally safe to travel again, we hope you get to check off these winter destinations from your bucket list! Already thinking about money-saving tips and comfy shoes for your future winter holiday? Check out our recommended reads below!